A couple weeks ago Jeff and I went to Valley Orchard in Cherry Valley with our friends Bob & Michelle. Michelle had never been apple picking before so we were excited to go with her for her first time. I came home with quite a few apples and these muffins were the first things made.
The thing about picking apples straight off the tree this year is that there wasn’t much rain so almost any orchard I called wasn’t offering the u-pick option, that is, all but Valley Orchard. We totally lucked out with the location and actually almost didn’t get to go into the orchard. Right after we arrived the rain started and we hung out in the gift shop for a while, reading all the different art work, jars of jam and jellies they had.
Then the rain let up, the owners let me borrow one of their rain coats (since I was clearly not dressed for the cold wind that the rain brought in) and we got to pickin! Jeff caught a photo of Bob, Michelle and I after the rain had settled and he of course played around editing it on his iPhone on the drive back home. :)
There was only one type of apple I tasted that didn’t match the flavor. I told Jeff after biting into it that it made me think of Snow White, looked all innocent but did not have that appley-deliciousness I was expecting.
We came home with a large quantity of apples so I’ve been making all sorts of recipes in the last couple weeks with our supply. Currently there are apples in the freezer waiting to be turned into raw applesauce, we’ve had my favorite recipe from Pigskin Paleo -Apple Pie in a Bowl (and a couple variations of it), I made a Paleo version of Michelle’s Simple Apple Pie Smoothie, a raw apple pie and of course these Zucchini Apple Muffins.
Zucchini Apple Muffins Adapted from PaleOMG and Yum Universe
- 1 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- juice of 1/2 a lemon
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 apples, chopped
- 1/4 cup raw pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, chopped
Directions Makes 12-18 muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350° F
- Line a cupcake tin with parchment baking cups or coat with coconut oil.
- Shred the zucchini in a food processor.
- Press the zucchini between two paper towels to remove the excess water. Transfer to a medium size bowl and set aside.
- Place chia seeds, water, vinegar, coconut butter, vanilla extract and lemon juice in a blender and DO NOT BLEND. Let the mixture sit. You want the chia seeds to soak in the liquid until they thicken up.
- In a large bowl add coconut flour, almond flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, pumpkin pie spice and sea salt and mix well.
- Rinse apples and chop into small pieces (I kept the skin on the apples).
- Add the apples, pecans, walnuts and shredded zucchini to the dry ingredients and combine.
- Head back to the chia mixture and blend thoroughly.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and combine well.
- Spoon cupcake mixture into cupcake tins. (I added the remaining mixture once the muffin tin was full to a couple mini quiche pans.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the muffins pass the toothpick test.
- Let cool and serve.
- Enjoy! :)