I’m not a huge fan of meatloaf. I never really liked it as a kid so I’ve probably made it twice in my life, and this was the second time. Quite frankly I’m glad I gave it another chance because this Paleo Meatloaf with Bison and Bacon completely changed my POV! I mean how could you go wrong with adding
a little a whole bunch of bacon? ;)
Speaking of bacon & bison, U.S. Wellness Meats is where I shop for the majority of my meat. I mentioned their bacon all throughout Pigskin Paleo as a superior option to the majority of the processed and packaged varieties found in the grocery store.
U.S. Wellness May Featured Chef
In April I was contacted by the amazing folks at U.S. Wellness and they asked if I would be their May Featured Chef. Me?! I was so excited and honored that they chose to feature me. So cool! So if you go to their site right now you’ll see my face on the home page, grinning back atcha. :)
What’s even more fun is seeing the reaction of my friends. Courtney tagged me on Facebook as soon as she saw. :)
I did an interview with them and spilled all my deepest, darkest secrets about cooking, so you’ll probably want to go read that right away. PLUS! This post is quite recipe heavy. Not only am I sharing this Paleo Meatloaf recipe but I’m giving you the keys to the castle with a link to four recipes I created for U.S. Wellness (which you’ll also find in Los Paleo!). If you give them a try don’t forget to let me know how they come out.
And if you’ve picked up a copy of Los Paleo, it would be amazing if you left me a review on Amazon! One more thing about Los and then I’ll stop, I promise. Amazon reduced the price of the paperback so if you’ve been waiting on that $25 steep price tag ;) …go take a look. I promise you won’t be disappointed. Then, get cookin’!
Have a great weekend everyone, I’ll be under the bright lights on stage at the Mrs. Illinois pageant tomorrow night!! So you can surely expect a recap on the pageant next week. :)
Paleo Meatloaf with Bison and Bacon
- 1 tablespoon butter, I prefer Kerrygold
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 yellow pepper, minced
- 2lbs ground bison
- 4 ribs celery, sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- sea salt, to taste
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 10-12 slices bacon
Directions Makes 4-6 serving
- Preheat to 400°F.
- Melt butter in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic and yellow peppers and cook over medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add ground bison to a large mixing bowl. Add onion mixture, celery, oregano, basil, black pepper, coconut flour and eggs. Using your hands, mix until combined.
- Pour mixture into a medium size glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle sea salt over the top of the mixture.
- Spread tomato paste across the top.
- Layer bacon slices across the top of the tomato paste.
- Place glass baking dish on top of a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5-10 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy! :)