A while back an interesting recipe came through Jeff’s inbox. He was intrigued so he emailed it to me right away. Although we’re both big fans of my Primal Pizza, Meatza was something so unique that we just had to try.
When Jeff’s birthday came around I whipped up 2 pizzas, a Primal Meatza and a vegetarian pizza since Jeff’s parents were coming by for his birthday (and his mom is vegetarian). Also, it didn’t hurt to have a backup plan just in case the meatza didn’t turn out. ;)
Turns out you can now order Meatza at Lou Malnati’s! We gave it a try with the Chicago Paleo group but it’s quite the secret since it’s not reaaallly listed on the menu, so you have to be in the know. Just ask for the crustless pizza and you’ll get a delicious meat-crust pizza. I’m personally not a fan of Lou’s, I’m more of a Giordano’s deep-dish fan (if we’re gonna splurge on some non-paleo pizza) but I have to say the Meatza was pretty damn good and filling too!
- 2 lbs grass-fed ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese,freshly grated, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- tomato paste or pizza sauce
- 1 link of chorizo
- fresh basil, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 red pepper, chopped
- oregano, to taste
- fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thin,
- Pre-heat the oven to 450°F.
- Combine ground beef, onion, garlic, egg, parmesan, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Pat out evenly onto a rimmed pizza pan. I used a 10×15 pan. As I patted out the meat I made an edge so the toppings and sauce would not drop off.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- While the “crust” is baking cook the chorizo in a skillet.
- Remove the meatza from the oven and carefully pour out the juices that have accumulated in the pan.
- The meat will have shrunk down and that is fine. I then transfered my meatza crust to a new clean pan.
- Drop the oven to 350°F.
- Spread pizza sauce around on meatza crust and scatter topping ingredients (chorizo, basil, green onion, green & red pepper) on top of sauce.
- Lay mozzarella slices on top of your choice of ingredients.
- Cook in oven for 10 minutes. (Keep it in there for 3 more minutes and repeat checking and extending the time by 3 minute intervals until the cheese is slightly browned.)
- Cut slices and serve.
- Enjoy! :)