Summer is a great time to break out the zoodle maker (aka spiralizer) and make THIS no cook Paleo recipe!
Enjoy a big bowl of this Caprese Zucchini Pasta Salad on a hot summer day with a side of ice cold kombucha or maybe a cherry smoothie.
If you increase the serving size on this recipe, it would be a great side dish to bring to any backyard BBQ or party. Paleo or not your guests will enjoy it…and you’ll get a good arm workout slicing all those zucchini’s. :)
Some people refer to zucchini pasta as zoodles. I’m not a huge fan of using that term but if zoodles are part of your general vocabulary and you enjoy vegetable pasta, then this zoodle recipe is for you. :)
What are zoodles?
It’s zucchini + noodles = zoodles.
See? Now don’t you feel smart because I’m sure you already knew that. :p
How do you make Zucchini Pasta?
I’m not a huge fan of keeping too many seasonal tools in my kitchen but turning zucchini into pasta is quite simple if you have access to a spiralizer.
After testing it out at a friends house, I decided to pick up this Spiralizer. It works quite well and has a few different cutting attachments, although I typically use the one I last left on it. If that one doesn’t strike your fancy, there are a few different types of Spiralizers available to choose from on Amazon.
If you’re as skeptical as I was about adding this tool to your kitchen, you could always opt for a handheld doohickey like this Julienne peeler.
Why Is This Called Caprese Salad?
This Zucchini Salad has all the makings of a caprese salad, minus the mozzarella. If your body’s cool with including dairy you can easily make this a Primal recipe by adding some chopped raw mozzarella.
You’ll find grass-fed raw mozzarella available at U.S. Wellness Meats or if you talk to a local farmer in your area, that may be your best option. Now is actually a great time to find those local farmers, especially if you frequent your local farmer’s market! :)
One More Thing
I was so excited because I was able to use fresh basil from my own garden to make this pasta salad! :)
Do you have a garden growing this year? How’s it going? Let me know.
Caprese Zucchini Pasta Salad
- 4 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8-12 loose fresh basil leaves, shredded
- coarse ground sea salt, to taste
- coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- olive oil
- Clean, trim and chop off the end of each zucchini and run them through a spiralizer. If you don't have a spiralizer you can slice, dice or cut into matchsticks as an alternative way to serve.
- Add zucchini, tomatoes, garlic, basil, sea salt, black pepper and drizzle olive oil into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Toss to combine.
- Let pasta salad sit for 10-20 minutes to let the flavors marinate. Transfer to a bowl (to contain the liquid dressing) and serve.
- Enjoy! :)