I recently picked up a new spice from Penzey’s so I decided to put it to good use when I made these Bacon Paleo Bagels during one of my most recent cooking marathons.
And you know what? If you don’t have nutmeg or mace in your spice drawer, it probably won’t make a huge difference because I used such a small amount. You can probably just leave it out altogether.
Have you used mace before?
I’m going to have to experiment some more and see what I can come up with.
Although I’m always open for suggestions so if you have any, let me know. :)
How To Eat a Paleo Bagel
Well this should be obvious, with your mouth. Duh! :p
I whipped these guys together and served them like biscuits alongside a shrimp and egg skillet. If I had some sliced smoke salmon laying around, I would have sliced some tomato and onion and had myself a throw-back meal.
Bacon Paleo Bagel
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add all ingredients (not including the tablespoon of butter) to a large mixing bowl and combine well using a hand mixer.
- Use the tablespoon of butter (or your preferred baking fat) to grease the donut pan.
- Pour the batter into a donut pan so each well is half full.
- Cut bacon slices into quarters and arrange four pieces in each donut pan.
- Cover bacon with remaining batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Using a clean toothpick, run it along the outside of each bagel and gently pull each one out of each well.
- Serve with extra bacon or however you would normally eat your bagels. (Off the top of my head ideas that come to mind are pulled pork, smeared with some strawberry jam or cream cheese, topped with an egg or better yet, scramble some eggs and serve as a Paleo bacon, egg & cheese-optional sandwich.)
- Enjoy! :)