Think that going Paleo means you can’t ever have Mexican food again? Think again.
Not only do I have a whole book full of Mexican Paleo recipes, I recently perfected my Paleo tortilla recipe. Of course, you can always eat taco salad without a shell, but if you find yourself craving a classic taco or burrito, you’re going to want to use this recipe.
Even though traditional tortillas use corn instead of wheat, corn is still a grain (not a vegetable) – and many varieties of corn you find now are full of GMO, so those of us trying to live a Paleo lifestyle tend to avoid it.
Paleo Tortilla Ingredients
Instead of corn, the base of this tortilla recipe consists mostly of tapioca flour, with a little coconut flour. Although tapioca has some of the same problems as grains (high carb and little-to-no nutrition) it does not contain any of the anti-nutrients of grains. Therefore, these Paleo tortillas can be enjoyed as an occasional treat, but I don’t recommend eating them every day.
Chipotle Burritos, Made Paleo
I recently whipped up a batch of Paleo Tortillas when we stopped at Chipotle and took our typical bowls to go.
With Chipotle on the inside and these Paleo Tortillas on the outside, it took us back to the days when Chipotle first opened. :)
More recently, when Josh & Ryan were in town, I whipped up another batch to go with their Chipotle bowls.
Paleo Breakfast Tortillas
- 2 large organic eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse ground sea salt
- Add eggs and almond milk to a medium size mixing bowl. Break the yolks and whisk to combine.
- Add the tapioca, coconut and sea salt. Whisk until well blended and no flour bubbles exist.
- Heat a cast iron skillet, size dependent on whether you'd like to produce taco or burrito size shells. For taco shells pour 1/3 cup into an 8" pan, swivel the pan around to fill the base. Wait about 1-2 minutes before flipping with a spatula and cook until cooked throughout and browned. Note it may start to puff up. Transfer the cooked tortilla to a plate and repeat again until all the batter is used up.
- Stuff with veggies, meat or anything (even fruit) and serve.
- Enjoy! :)