Maybe you have time for just one more, teensy-weensy, itsy-bitsy Paleo recipe on your Thanksgiving menu?
Screw pumpkin and finish off the night with a Paleo Cranberry Pie! :)
And if you don’t have any more time or energy to make this today, not to worry. You can save this recipe for next week when you’re living off leftovers and looking for something a little extra for dessert.
Last year I made a simple cranberry sauce, but not for Thanksgiving. I made it after Thanksgiving when we had all the leftover turkey and no more leftover sauce. But cranberries are not just for saucing.
I was curious what else I could make with all the leftover bags of whole cranberries I had. So I froze them until I thought of something better to do with them.
I pulled some whole cranberries out of the freezer to make Paleo ice cream and that was a pleasant surprise.
And this year I experimented a bit more to make this Paleo Cranberry Pie.
The dates blend so well with the almond flour to create that perfect ratio of sweet to tart when pared with the whole cranberries, that you forget that you may have never liked cranberries in the first place. Or maybe that’s just me. :)
It doesn’t take long to prep and only 30 minutes to bake.
Plus it’s good cold as leftovers…for breakfast!
Don’t believe me? I guess you’ll need to make it and see for yourself. ;)
Paleo Cranberry Pie
- 2 cups fresh or frozen whole cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Spread cranberries and chopped walnuts around in the bottom of a pie dish.
- Add eggs and vanilla extract to a medium-size mixing bowl.
- Process dates in a food processor until they form a giant ball. Add coconut milk and process until dates are broken up and mixed with coconut milk.
- Add date mixture to the eggs and mix with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Continue mixing as you slowly drizzle in the melted coconut oil.
- Add almond flour and mix with hand mixer until all the flour bubbles are gone.
- Pour over the top of the cranberries & walnuts and smooth everything out evenly with the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until set.
- Slice into 8 equal pie slices and serve warm (or cover and store in the fridge, so you can eat it cold the next day).
- Enjoy! :)