I made these bad boys as gifts for both my mom and my mother-in-law for Mother’s Day. Not including the freeze time these took me mayybe 15 minutes to prepare. These Paleo Chocolate Coconut Haystacks (also referred to as Macaroons) are a great mix of chocolate, coconut and sweetness, thanks to the raw honey.
This is my last full week before the pageant so no more sweets for me until Sunday. I mean look at these cookies! Thank goodness I gave the majority of them away otherwise it would have been a disaster having them in my freezer – staring back at me all week. :)
For Mother’s Day we took our families out for brunch and to see The Great Gatsby. Apparently Mother’s Day is the #1 eat-out holiday and boy am I glad I added a large enough buffer before the movie otherwise we may have been late for sure.
As for The Great Gatsby, I really enjoyed it. The blend of modern music throughout was so fun. I absolutely love movies based in that gangster/flapper period of history. Have you seen it yet? What did you think?
Back to the cookies! I thought having an additional drizzle of chocolate on top would be a nice topping but really they don’t even need it. These haystacks can absolutely stand alone.
If you give them a try, let me know what you think. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.
Paleo Chocolate Coconut Haystacks
- 3 cups coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/4 cup raw honey
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 vanilla bean, sliced and seeds removed
- 3-5 oz 72% (or higher) dark chocolate, melted (optional)
- 1 tablespoon grassfed butter (optional)
- In a large bowl, mix the coconut flakes, cocoa powder, cacao nibs, raw honey, coconut oil and vanilla. Stir well to combine.
- Using an ice cream scoop, spoon rounds of coconut mixture onto a sheet of parchment paper over a rimmed baking sheet.
- Freeze for 1 hour.
- Optionally, melt dark chocolate and butter together in a small pot over low heat and drizzle over the frozen cookies. Return to freezer for additional 30 minutes.
- Serve with or without the final chocolate drizzle.
- Enjoy! :)