We don’t watch much TV but I can’t wait for Dexter to start. How does Dexter have anything to do with this recipe? Well I got some blood red oranges the other day from the store and of course, immediately thought of Dexter. :)
Although we don’t watch live TV, aside from the Bears games, we watch Dexter once it’s available on the Apple TV. Before we left for Miami we started re-watching Dexter from the very beginning: Season 1, episode 1. We’ve seen the whole series so many times and it just works well as background “white” (or blood red) noise.
On a side note my cookbook, Pigskin Paleo‘s going international! After I came home from shipping out a signed copy to Australia (Thanks Kim!!), I was starving and scrounging around for some food. I had recently stocked up on plenty of veggies so I threw this salad together as quick as I could. And my plate was empty before Jeff even got to the kitchen to start on his. :)
I served this salad topped with Mackerel from US Wellness Meats along with a side of fresh cherries.
Blood Red Spinach Salad
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 1/2 vidalia onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 1 Anaheim pepper, chopped
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 blood red orange, chopped
- 2 ounces Prosciutto, cubed
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, minced
- oregano, to taste
- coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- balsamic vinegar, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil, drizzle
- Rinse spinach and add to the bottom of a large mixing bowl.
- Add all ingredients in the order listed above on top of the spinach.
- Sprinkle with oregano, black pepper and sea salt.
- Mix everything together and plate for two (with leftovers to spare).
- Drizzle each plate with balsamic vinegar and olive oil and serve.
- Enjoy! :)