Do you buy whole broccoli, just the crown or the pre-chopped package of just florets? Did you know that both the florets and the stalks have the same nutritional value?
Really it doesn’t make a difference to me either way but this Broccoli Mango Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing makes use of the WHOLE broccoli, so if you’ve never tried the stalks, here’s your first chance to give it a try. :)
Poppy seeds are a neglected seed in my cooking. It’s not like I dislike them, I just rarely use them which is why I decided to whip them out and give them a try with this broccoli & mango combination.
Serve this broccoli based dish on the side to accompany some chicken or fish and don’t forget to let me know what you think. :)
Broccoli Mango Salad with Lemon Poppy Seed Dressing
- 3 stalks broccoli
- 1 golden mango, cubed
- 1 cup purple cabbage, chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- Slice the florets (heads) off the broccoli stalks and chop into manageable pieces. Peel the broccoli stalks clean then slice.
- Add broccoli, cubed mango, chopped cabbage and chopped walnuts to a medium size mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl add lemon juice, shallots, poppy seeds, olive oil, sea salt and honey. Stir to combine.
- Pour over the broccoli mixture.
- Mix everything together until dressing is evenly coated.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate.
- Enjoy! :)