Kabocha squash has a sweeter taste than other squash. You may have some difficulty finding it in most grocery stores but when you do find it, I guarantee you’ll enjoy it. This double decker, multi-layer baked kabocha squash and Paleo ground beef recipe will help warm you up on a cool night and it will taste just as good cold, as leftovers, the next day.
I made a savory and a sweet variety of baked kabocha squash. The ones you see below are the sweet variety and all the rest shown are savory.
Make Squash For Dessert
Chop two apples and season the squash and apples with melted coconut oil, a healthy sampling of cinnamon and a pinch or two of sea salt and bake on a rimmed baking sheet. The baked apples and squash will melt together in your mouth and provide you with a dessert worthy dish to finish off the savory meal I’ve included below.
Words would go here…
…if I had something to say…
…but I don’t…
…so just check out the Paleo porn…
…and don’t forget to drool. :p
Baked Kabocha Squash and Ground Beef
- 1 kabocha squash, cubed
- sea salt, to taste
- coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- dried chervil, to taste
- olive oil (I like Kasandrinos)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2lbs grass-fed ground beef
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 6oz can of tomato paste
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cube the squash and split it between two rimmed baking sheets. Season with sea salt, black pepper, chervil seasoning and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to combine on the rimmed baking sheet and transfer to the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, toss and continue to bake squash for a final 20 minutes.
- While the squash is baking add the onion and garlic to a large skillet over medium heat.
- After 3-5 minutes add the ground beef. Break up the meat and season with sea salt and black pepper. Stir to combine with the garlic and onion.
- After 7-10 minutes add the pumpkin puree, tomato paste and fresh rosemary. Stir to combine well. Bring the mixture to a boil, cover and let the meat simmer until the squash in the oven is done.
- Remove the squash from the oven and assemble your meal.
- In a deep bowl add a few scoops of ground beef, top with baked squash and serve.
- Enjoy! :)