When you change your lifestyle and make the commitment to “go Paleo”, there are a couple routes you can take.
Slow or fast.
This is a recipe I made as we took the slow route to transition from SAD (Standard American Diet) to Primal to strict Paleo to where we are now – 80/20 Paleo.
I still remember when I was growing up my mom would order mini Mexican pizzas from Market Day.
The Mexican Pizza was always what my order would be when we’d go to Taco Bell (again, when I was little).
So when I was looking through our pantry and spotted the last can of refried beans, hiding in the back, waiting for a rainy day, I decided to make my own Paleo-ish Mexican Pizza. We were still in the process of cleaning out our pantry, the very first time.
I say Paleo-ish because technically beans are not Paleo. But you know what? If you have a choice to eat the last can of refried beans in your pantry versus going out to eat at Taco Bell or any other fast food restaurant, this recipe is a much better choice.
If I would have had black olives in the house at the time, I would have used them as a topping.
- For grass-fed cheese, look no further than U.S. Wellness Meats. They’ll ship directly to your door.
- To make this recipe strict Paleo remove the beans and cheese and see the recommended recipes below for more pizza recipes that are strict Paleo recipes.
- If you’re a fan of Mexican food like we are, maybe you’d enjoy my cookbook Los Paleo. I have a recipe for paleo refried beans and a proper Paleo mexican pizza in Los! :)
- Serrano peppers make this quite a spicy meal so be sure to have some water on hand to put out the fire or replace them with jalapeño or for an even milder chile, go for green peppers.
Paleo Mexican Pizza
- 1/2 cup almond flour/meal
- 1/4 cup raw parmesan cheese (I always buy a chunk and grate it)
- 1 egg white
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1lb (1 medium to large size) eggplant, grated
- sea salt, to taste
- coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- dried oregano, to taste
- grass-fed butter
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 16 ounces refried beans
- grass-fed cheddar cheese block, hand shredded
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2-3 scallions, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, sliced
- Follow steps 1-14 to make the crust for the pizza.
- While you're waiting for the crust to cook, chop up the ingredients for the toppings.
- Spread the tomato paste on first.
- Spread the refried beans on second.
- Shred some cheddar cheese over the beans.
- Scatter the roasted red peppers, minced garlic, green onions and chopped cilantro over the top of the cheese.
- Top it all off by scattering the sliced peppers over the top.
- Pop it back in the oven for another 10 minutes, now at 350° F. Once the cheese is melted, you know it's done.
- Take the pizza out of the oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes to cool down, then cut & serve!
- Enjoy! :)