I was looking through the pantry while planning out the meals for the week and saw I had a can of refried beans in there and thought, hmmm maybe I could use that on pizza!
I still remember when I was growing up my mom would order mini Mexican pizzas from Market Day…and it was always something I ordered when we’d eat out at Taco Bell (again, when I was little). So I decided to make my own, Primal(ish) style Mexican Pizza!
Primal Mexican Pizza
- 1/2 cup almond flour/meal
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (I always buy a chunk and grate it)
- 1 egg white
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium to large size eggplant, around 1 pound grated
- sea salt, coarse ground black pepper, dried oregano, to taste
- grassfed butter
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 16 ounces refried beans
- grassfed cheddar cheese block, hand shredded
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 2-3 scallions, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, sliced
- Follow steps 1-14 to make the crust for the pizza.
- While you’re waiting for the crust to cook, chop up the ingredients for the toppings
- Spread the tomato paste on first.
- Spread the refried beans on second.
- Shred some cheddar cheese over the beans.
- Scatter the roasted red peppers, minced garlic, green onions and chopped cilantro over the top of the cheese.
- Top it all off by scattering the sliced peppers over the top.
- Pop it back in the oven for another 10 minutes, now at 350° F. Once the cheese is melted, you know it’s done.
- Take the pizza out of the oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes to cool down, then cut & serve!
- Enjoy! :)