I would recommend eating this with a fork and a knife but some people (cough…me!) may prefer not to dirty more dishes. In that case, two hands will do just fine (and will also be more fun…especially if you have kiddos).
Whip up a serving of seasoned ground beef and use a head of cabbage as an edible cup and you’ve got yourself a meal that’ll be ready in minutes. Eating on the Paleo diet doesn’t have to be difficult.
Pro Tip: Pack it to go! If you double or triple the recipe while planning your week’s lunch, once you’ve cooked the ground beef you can immediately portion out the meat into separate containers. Halve the cabbage and bag it up so all you need to do is quickly reheat the meat (or just eat it cold like I do), top it on the cabbage and serve.
You may want more Louisiana Sauce as you make your way through the cabbage bowl, so keep that bowl handy and if you’re packing for lunch, keep that in mind when you add it to your travel container.
Speaking of travel containers, if I was still packing my lunch for work I would have definitely already picked up one of the new Klean Kanteen vacuum insulated canisters (stainless steal, BPA free, eco friendly). Have you seen them?
Even the stainless steal bento box from LunchBots are nice for kids and adults. And some even come with dividers.
Thankfully I don’t have to pack my lunch to go anymore but if you do, and you’re looking for an alternative to plastic bags for yourself or your kids, those are two options I would go for. If you’ve got either one, let me know what you think of them in the comments. :)
Overflowing Paleo Beef in a Cabbage Cup
- 1lb grass-fed ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 medium head of green cabbage
- 3-5 grape tomatoes
- 1/4 avocado
- 3-5 tablespoons Louisiana Sauce
- Add ground beef to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add turmeric, cumin, paprika, sea salt and mix to combine. Brown meat and reduce to medium-low heat.
- While the ground beef is going chop 2/3 of the cabbage in the following way. With the stem facing you, slice on a 45 degree angle, starting from the stem on each side. This will leave something like an apple core left and it will produce two cabbage bowls. Remove the inner 2-4 pieces of the bowl to make room for the ground beef. (Note: Chop the leftover cabbage strip and store for salad on another day.)
- Slice the grape tomatoes, set aside.
- Slice the avocado into slivers, set aside.
- Make the Louisiana Sauce while you’re waiting, if you haven’t already, by combining the Paleo mayo, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt and hot sauce in a small mixing bowl. Stir to combine. Now you’re Louisiana sauce is ready.
- Once the meat is done cooking, scoop it out and fill the cabbage bowls with meat.
- Top ground beef with Louisiana sauce and serve garnished with sliced tomatoes and sliced avocado. Keep the Louisiana sauce nearby, you’ll probably want more as you go.
- Enjoy! :)