Happy 4th of July y’all! Whip up this quick BLT-ish salad with the addition of pesto in place of mayo and you’ve got a killer Paleo salad to serve side by side with your evening fireworks display…or you know, just call it lunch. :)
Have I mentioned how much I love pesto?
What am I saying, I know I have…but it’s been a couple days. ;)
It’s so easy to throw together, and so versatile. Basil, cilantro, dill, mint…change up the herbs. Cashews, mac nuts, walnuts, pine nuts…change up the base. So many possibilities to change the flavor.
My favorite variety is cashews with basil but this time I went with cilantro.
Jeff and I are currently hanging out with Dave in Napa. We spent a day in San Francisco and next we’ll be heading to Portland.
Have a safe and happy 4th of July! :)
BLP Salad - Paleo Bacon Lettuce and Pesto Salad
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 green onion bulb
- 12 strips bacon
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 bunch cilantro
- olive oil
- Chop the tomatoes and add to a large mixing bowl.
- Slice the green onion bulbs and add to the tomatoes, set aside.
- Add the bacon to a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook bacon for 2-3 minutes per side, then transfer cooked pieces between two paper towels.
- While the bacon is going add the garlic, cashews, sea salt and cilantro to a food processor. Let it process until the cashews are chopped then drizzle olive oil in while the processor is running, until the pesto reaches your desired consistency.
- Chop 10 slices of bacon and add to the tomato-onion mixture, reserving remaining 2 pieces.
- Add the cilantro pesto to the tomato, onion and bacon and mix together until well combined.
- Add BLP Salad to a bowl or plate for two, topped with the remaining 2 pieces of bacon, and serve with your choice of meat or all on it’s own.
- Enjoy! :)