Cauliflower is such a moldable vegetable. My favorite way to prepare it is as rice because it’s very easy to season depending on the spices and herbs you add to it.
This was my first time using garam masala. I used beef stew to make this Khoresht-e Bademjan also known as Paleo Persian Eggplant Stew over Cauliflower Rice, but you can add a bit more flavor and use lamb stew meat as well. Either way you’ll have a delicious and flavorful meal.
When I was getting all the ingredients ready for my Pigskin Paleo LIVE event with Airbnb I made a trip to Penzey’s spices in Naperville. While I was walking around the store they had little recipe cards next to some of the spices. If you regularly get the Penzey’s magazine you’d know they publish many different recipes as examples of how to use the spices they sell. Being in the store was similar to reading the little stories and recipes they share in the magazine.
I picked up everything that was on my list and then browsed around a bit. I had yet to experiment with any Indian recipes so I threw some curry and garam masala into my bag. I was inspired by the recipe card sitting next to the curry spice rack and came home and made this Paleo Persian Eggplant Stew over Cauliflower Rice. I served it with a side of raw cabbage salad, which you can see in the feature image above.
Paleo Persian Eggplant Stew over Cauliflower Rice
- 1 tablespoon Kerry Gold grass-fed butter
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cubed
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 small zucchini, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- curry powder, turmeric, sea salt and coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 head cauliflower, shredded
- 1 small onion, chopped
- sea salt and coarse ground black pepper, to taste
Directions Makes 2-3 servings
- In a large pan over medium high heat, melt butter.
- Add the meat and cook until almost browned.
- Add the onion and continue to cook until meat is browned and onions are soft.
- Arrange the sliced zucchini in a layer over the browned meat in the pan followed by a layer of sliced eggplant. Sprinkle with the garlic.
- Top it all off with a sprinkle of salt, pepper, curry powder, and turmeric. Then pour the water on top, making sure to moisten all the spices.
- Cover and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- While that’s going you can start the rice. In a second large pan, saute the onions over medium heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the shredded cauliflower, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine with the onions.
- Continue to stir rice mixture until browned, 15-20 minutes.
- Serve eggplant stew over cauliflower rice.
- Enjoy! :)