We had company coming over and I had planned to make coleslaw. I had a head of cabbage waiting for me but I had no idea what I was going to add to it. This is the story of my Paleo Coleslaw.
Going into the kitchen I knew only that I wanted to make coleslaw.
The extent of my planning, I have a head of cabbage.
I didn’t know exactly what I was going to add to the cabbage until I got in the kitchen and took a look at the ingredients I had available.
Adding carrots was a no brainer. Shred! Shred! Shred!
I’m a fan of adding onion and garlic to anything but I wasn’t feeling the garlic at this particular moment so I held off.
When I scanned my onion supply I saw the little cipollini’s staring back at me and decided they would be the perfect addition.
I was thinking about how to make it creamy and I didn’t feel like making any mayonnaise but instead I got some eggs boiling. I thought if I made them medium boiled they’d add a smoothness to the mix of apple cider vinegar and olive oil and make enough of a dressing to not be creamy but mix well together.
I topped it all off with a serious helping of sea salt and viola! My Paleo Coleslaw was ready. Plus, it went over extremely well with my guests.
For a simple Paleo coleslaw that will feed a few folks, give this Paleo Coleslaw a try and let me know if you enjoy it as much as my friends. :)
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 4 eggs, medium boiled
- 3 cipollini onions
- 1-2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions Make 4-5 cups coleslaw
- If you haven’t already, shred the cabbage and carrots in a food processor. Add the eggs to a small saucepan cover with water, bring to a boil for 5 minutes over high heat, transfer to the sink and run cold water over eggs for 1 minute. Let sit in the cold water for 3-5 minutes until cooled then peel and set aside.
- Mince the cipollini onions and add to a large mixing bowl along with the shredded cabbage and shredded carrots.
- Use an egg slicer to slice one peeled egg, rotate the egg to slice it perpendicular to the previous cut and add the double sliced egg to the bowl. Repeat for remaining 3 eggs.
- Season with 1 tablespoon of sea salt, apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Using two forks mix everything well so the sea salt is spread evenly along with the apple cider vinegar. Give it a taste, does it need more salt? If yes add 1/2 tablespoon more and mix. Continue to do so until your desired saltiness is reached.
- Serve garnished with your favorite fresh herb (optional). I served Paleo Coleslaw with pan fried, pasture-raised, jerk-pork seasoned chops.
- Enjoy! :)