Still searching for the perfect Paleo game day recipes to serve for Super Bowl XLVIII? Come join me tomorrow night at Mariano’s in Elmhurst for a Paleo Super Bowl event! (Sign up here.) Not in the Chicagoland area, no worries. Look no further, they’re all right here! :)
These Fowl Balls may sound more appropriate for a baseball game but rest assured, these tasty treats of ground turkey and chicken make for the perfect “one more dish” to add to your super bowl spread.
Not every item on your menu needs to burst with flavor. Some dishes need to play a supporting role and that’s what these little Paleo Meatballs do.
I say that because I purposely left the seasonings light in the meatballs to make room for tastiness in the dipping sauce.
What does my Paleo Game Day Menu look like, you ask?
Well, unlike my Bacon Wrapped Chicken Chorizo Poppers (which along with my menu for this year, are currently featured on the Paleo Parents Blog), this game day recipe will only take a few minutes for prep and another few to cook on the stove-top.
The spinach-avocado dipping sauce adds some healthy fat and sneaky greens (because you know your family and friends won’t be eating salads on game day). With the addition of stoneground mustard and ginger, this Paleo dipping sauce will add just a hint of heat.
If you saw the title and thought you’d find a recipe for organ meat, maybe you want to take a look at this odd bits recipe round up from Amanda at The Curious Coconut.
Need More Paleo Game Day Recipes?
Have you seen my Paleo cookbook Pigskin Paleo? Not into cookbooks? Try one of these recipes below.
Game Day Recipe: Fowl Balls
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 1/2 cups onion, minced
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- dried rosemary, to taste (optional)
- 1 avocado, halved and pit removed
- 1 cup spinach, packed
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1 inch chunk fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons stoneground mustard, (I used LocalFolks Food Stone-Ground Express Mustard)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Trim the top off the yellow pepper, remove the seeds and slice the pepper in half. Slice half of the pepper into strips and set aside. Then mince the remaining half of the pepper.
- In a large mixing bowl add ground turkey, ground chicken, minced pepper, minced onion and minced garlic. Season with sea salt, black pepper and dried rosemary and dig in with both hands to mix everything together.
- Grab a small amount of mixture, roll into a ball and transfer to a large clean plate. Continue rolling balls until all the meat is gone.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Fill the skillet with meatballs, evenly spaced apart. When balls start to brown and cook halfway up the sides, flip then over.
- While the meatballs are going in the pan, add the avocado, spinach, lime juice, fresh ginger chunk, stoneground mustard, olive oil and 2-3 pinches of sea salt to a food processor. Process until everything is mixed and creamy. Give it a taste to test whether more sea salt is necessary. Transfer to a small serving bowl then return to the skillet.
- Continue to move the meatballs over in the pan to keep warm. Crowd the pan by adding more raw balls to the skillet to start to cook. Brown meatballs on all sides and be sure they are cooked throughout before you transfer them from the skillet to a large serving bowl.
- Serve meatballs side-by-side with avocado-spinach dipping sauce.
- Enjoy! :)