Sometimes we like to tell ourselves that just a little bit of flour won’t hurt.
Fish is good for me so if I have fish coated in flour, it can’t be that bad right?
Depending on your tolerance for wheat, you may not notice the effects for a while but Jeff & I won’t be taking any chances. We’ll be enjoying this baked cod recipe with a little bit of crunch, without resorting to conventional flour. :)
You may know that you can use almond flour to make paleo baked goods, like cookies and muffins, but it doesn’t have to be limited to treats. It can also be used in savory recipes any time you want to avoid flour.
Adding turmeric to the almond flour mixture is what gives it that bright yellow color! Not only does turmeric help enhance the flavor, along with the other spices, it has many different health benefits and would be a great spice to add to your collection.
For a little extra color, sprinkle some fresh chives on top of your fish right before serving, and you’re good to go!
If you’re familiar with Chowstalker and picked up the 2014 Primal Life Kit, you may have seen this Baked Cod recipe make an appearance in the first Chowstalker Community eCookbook!
Almond Crusted Baked Cod Recipe
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs Pacific cod
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh chives, minced
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk 2 eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine almond flour, black pepper, garlic powder, dried dill and turmeric in a new bowl, large enough to allow your cod pieces to fit.
- Chop the end off the green pepper, remove seeds and slice. Place sliced peppers on a parchment paper lined rimmed baking sheet.
- If cod is not pre-cut, chop into 4-5 pieces (around 4x3-inches in size).
- Dip a piece of cod in the egg, flip and coat on both sides. Let egg drops drip off and transfer to the almond flour mixture, press down, flip and coat both sides with the mixture. Place seasoned cod on the top of a slice of green pepper and season with a pinch of sea salt. Repeat for each piece of cod.
- Transfer baking sheet to the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- Plate and serve garnished with fresh minced chives.
- Enjoy! :)