I did not go in to the kitchen with a plan to make Paleo Philly Cheesesteak. It just happened. And I’m so glad it did.
I don’t usually use fish sauce and I picked it up recently and decided to test it out with this recipe. This was the first time I used it and I think it added just the right combination of flavor with the seasonings I paired it with.
I recently took a trip to Penzey’s to stock up on some new seasonings. If you don’t have a location nearby, I’d highly recommend ordering from them. I’ve done both, and with some shipments they have actually thrown in a free sample of a new spice. Pretty sneaky and cool, if you ask me.
I think it’s been something like 5 years since I’ve had a real philly cheesesteak sandwich. I can remember it too. We were at a Bears game at Soldier Field and I wanted something hardy, but you know what I got? A huge pile of bread with only a little meat, pepper and onion. I ate the meat & veggies with a fork and called it a day.
This Paleo Philly Cheesesteak isn’t a sandwich, although feel free to wrap it in a collard green leaf or put it on top of some Paleo bread, if you’ve got some made. We ate this out of a bowl, like my Apple Pie in a Bowl..but you know, savory not sweet. :)
Paleo Philly Cheesesteak
- 1lb beef stew meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon Penzey’s Old World Seasoning
- parmesan cheese, optional
- Slice the beef stew meat into thin strips with kitchen sheers.
- Add the chopped onion and green pepper to a large skillet over medium high heat, stir to combine.
- After 2-3 minutes reduce the heat to medium and add the chopped meat, fish sauce, fresh ginger, red pepper flakes and Old World Seasoning. Mix everything together, cover and cook until the meat is at your preferred level of doneness.
- Slice a few thin pieces of parmesan cheese from a block and add them to the top. Cover and let the cheese melt into the meat (1-2 minutes).
- Remove from heat, plate and serve.
- Enjoy! :)