Whether you’re cooking up a fantabulous feast for Thanksgiving, looking for a new side dish or just browsing for recipe inspiration, this Paleo Thanksgiving Recipe Roundup is your one-stop shop.
This guide will make it super easy to peruse our favorite Paleo recipes and I’ve also included my Paleo Thanksgiving menu so you can see an example of what works well together. :)
If you’re not into turkey, no problem. I’ve included a few different main course options as alternatives. Although, if turkey is your crown jewel, my bacon-wrapped turkey will definitely shine with Paleo and non-Paleo eaters alike.
Thanksgiving is rarely about the turkey, it’s more about all the glorious sides (well actually it’s probably about joining together with close family and friends, but I’m talking food here, people!). :) Whether you’re looking for something simple or more elaborate the sides tend to come down to a vegetable matched with a preparation method.
My 2014 Paleo Thanksgiving Menu
In the past, I have only needed to prepare a side or two because in our family, since before I was born my mom has prepared the Thanksgiving feast.
When Jeff & I started dating, we started splitting the day in half. First we would enjoy an extravagant lunch that Jeff’s mom would slave over and prepare super early so that we could then head directly over to my parents house for (second) dinner, i.e. another fully prepared turkey dinner with all the fixins!
In 2014 I decided it would be much easier if I prepared the Thanksgiving dinner and invited everyone over to our place. It saved both of our moms from having to prepare meals separately and we didn’t have to split our time…and save enough room to enjoy both meals!
This is my Paleo Thanksgiving menu, which I prepared for 15 people in 2014:
- 24lb local, pasture-raised turkey from Nature’s Choice Farm seasoned with dried herbs, rubbed with duck fat and stuffed with Paleo Stuffing
- Hasselback Sweet Potatoes
- Maple Brussels Sprouts
- Cauliflower-Parsnip Mash
- Mini Paleo Biscuits
- Celery Ceaser Salad
- Lacinato Kale & Butternut Squash Salad with Cranberries
- Cranberry Sauce
- Orange-Grapefruit Sangria
- Paleo Pecan Pie
- Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies (made with cashew meal instead of almond flour)
Prepare A Simple Dish
Don’t let fancy side dishes scare you away, you can prepare something simple and it can absolutely taste delicious. For example you can choose carrots, celery, broccoli, brussels sprouts, parsnips, pumpkin, squash, asparagus, etc. and each one can be prepared in an assortment of ways: baked, mashed, boiled, pan-fried or any other way you see fit. It’s really as simple as combining a vegetable or two, choosing your cooking method and then adding in an herb, seasoning, and/or fat.
But Thanksgiving day is not the time to be experimenting, so leave that to me and feel free to peruse what I’ve already tested and shared below.
Enjoy your time with family and friends and if you give any of my recipes a try, let me know how they turn out for ya! :)
One Last Note
Unless you’re really hungry, this isn’t meant to be a single menu. But if you want a fan-freaking-tastic Thanksgiving or you’re feelin like superwoman (or -man), then have at it! ;)
Paleo Thanksgiving Appetizers
Paleo Thanksgiving Side Dishes
Paleo Thanksgiving Main Course (aka THE MEATS!)
Paleo Thanksgiving Desserts
More Paleo Thanksgiving Recipes from Around the Paleo-Sphere
- Tasty Paleo and Vegetarian Stuffing Recipes from Livestrong.com
- How to Survive the Holiday’s on an Autoimmune Healing Diet from Primal Docs
- 33 Recipes for a Paleo Thanksgiving from BuzzFeed Food
- Holiday Recipe Roundup from Simply Paleo
- Thanksgiving Smorgasbord from Nom Nom Paleo
- 30 of the Best Paleo Side Dishes from My Natural Family
- 17 Paleo Thanksgiving Recipes from Paleo Grubs
- Thanksgiving Menu 2013 from Everyday Paleo
- A Primal Thanksgiving Menu from Mark’s Daily Apple
Love, Jeff & Marla :)