This is a fun twist on turnips. Paleo Mashed Turnips with Bacon and a Pickled Mustard Seed vinaigrette will spice up your Paleo Thanksgiving menu with a new flavor combination and possibly a new vegetable (if you’re not familiar with turnips).
Adding bacon will make anything enjoyable so add more if you’re a bacon fan. :)
The consistency is similar to applesauce, at least it may look that way, but the mustard seeds cause the flavor to be quite different. So please don’t assume applesauce otherwise your brain will be confused when you taste a spoonful. :)
You can plan ahead by making the vinaigrette and boiling & mashing the turnips a day ahead. Store each separately, of course.
Just fry up the bacon a half hour before you’re ready to serve, add the turnips and vinaigrette and heat until warm throughout before serving.
If you’re really into turnips you may want to add a few more to your grocery list and whip up my Paleo Turnip Hash Brown Casserole recipe. Then you’ll be prepared with a dish for breakfast too.
One additional note: this may be a polarizing recipe. If you like interesting new flavors, this is for you. If you’re just introducing people to Paleo I can’t guarantee this will be a good recipe to start on new guests. Jeff liked the taste, but was done after a small serving and my mom tried this one and thought it was too spicy for her palette. :p If you give it a try, let me know what you think! :)
Mashed Turnips with Bacon and Pickled Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup golden balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
- 2lbs turnips, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 6 strips bacon
- Bring water, vinegar and sugar to a boil in a small saucepan. Remove from heat and stir in mustard seeds. Let stand at least 1 hour.
- Add turnips to a medium to large-sized saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat in salted water until fork tender.
- Drain and transfer turnips to a food processor. Process until smooth.
- Chop bacon and add to the same saucepan over medium heat. Cook until crisp, 8-10 minutes.
- Add mashed turnips to the bacon and bacon fat, stir to combine.
- Stir the small saucepan with the mustard seed vinaigrette. Add the vinaigrette to the saucepan with the turnips and bacon. Stir until everything is well combined and turnips are warmed throughout. Serve immediately.
- Enjoy! :)