You know when you’ve used all the ingredients for the week and have random things left, just sitting around in the fridge and you think to yourself what can I make with all of this stuff? Well that was my thought with this recipe.
I looked around the refrigerator and we had a bunch of random items: asparagus, eggplant, jalapeño peppers, avocados, carrots, limes, radishes…and the list goes on. So I grabbed a few different ingredients along with some eggs and put this quiche together.
I recently watched this video that talked about a woman who overcame her MS by changing over to a Primal/Paleo diet. It was really inspirational actually and afterward Jeff summarized it over on his site, so I won’t go into great detail here. But, after watching the video, we both wanted to increase our intake of greens even more. And I bet you can guess what ingredients I reached for to make this recipe. And where the title came from. ;)
It’s fun to just grab a bunch of stuff and throw something together…and you better believe I had my fingers crossed that it was going to come out tasting good. ;) But I knew it came out well when it got Dave‘s seal of approval on his first bite. :)
Get Your Greens In Crustless Quiche
- 1 tablespoon grassfed butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/4 cup italian sharp cheese, and more for the top
- 6 organic eggs
- sea salt & coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Set a medium size frying pan to medium heat and melt the butter. Then add the chopped onions.
- While the onion is cooking chop the jalapeño peppers and add to the pan.
- While the onion and peppers are cooking, be sure to stir every so often, rinse off the asparagus and chop into 1 inch pieces.
- If you see the onion starting to brown turn the heat to low.
- Then crack the eggs into a medium to large size bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the fresh asparagus to the eggs. Then add the pepper & onion, straight from the pan. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Shred some cheese into the bowl. (I didn’t measure and I estimate that I used about a quarter of a cup)
- Mix it all together and pour into your favorite baking dish. (I used my 10-inch fluted round pie dish.)
- Then slice one avocado into thin slices and layer across the top. I made mine pretty by following the round style of the dish. :)
- Then shred a shallow layer of finely graded cheese across the top. That way when it melts it gives a nice golden top.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Make sure all the sides have browned a bit along the edges and you can always do the toothpick test to make sure the center has completely set.
- Serve and enjoy! :)