You know when you’ve used all of the ingredients for the week and have random things left, just sitting around in the fridge? If you’re anything like me you may think to yourself, what can I make with all of this stuff? Well that was my thought with this recipe.
I looked around the refrigerator and we had a bunch of random items: asparagus, eggplant, jalapeño peppers, avocados, carrots, limes, radishes…and the list goes on. So I grabbed a few different ingredients along with some eggs and put this quiche together.
Inspiration: Dr. Terry Wahls
After watching Dr. Terry Wahls Ted talk we were prepared to increase our greens, drastically! If you’re not familiar with Terry’s story, she overcame her progressive MS by changing her diet.
It was really inspirational actually and afterward Jeff summed it up by saying:
Can you commit to 9 cups of vegetables a day?
Dr. Terry Wahls was wheelchair bound with MS. That was until she went Primal/Paleo and began consuming 9 cups of vegetables a day, along with grass-fed and Omega-3 rich meats. After 7 years of the “best” in medicine, it took her just 3 months to begin walking. And after 9 months she was able to ride 18 miles on her bicycle.
Many have questioned the validity of the “caveman diet”, but I have yet to find any proven opposition to it. Time and again, however, I find amazing stories like this.
If eating Primal can cure MS how much better can it make you feel when you’re already healthy?
Back In The Kitchen
So, I bet you can guess what ingredients I reached for to make this recipe. And where the title came from. ;)
It’s fun to just grab a bunch of stuff and throw something together…and you better believe I had my fingers crossed that it was going to come out tasting good. ;) But I knew it came out well when it got Dave‘s seal of approval upon his first bite. :)
Get Your Greens In Crustless Quiche
- 1 tablespoon grassfed butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1/4 cup italian sharp cheese, and more for the top
- 6 organic eggs
- sea salt & coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Set a medium size frying pan to medium heat and melt the butter. Then add the chopped onions.
- While the onion is cooking chop the jalapeño peppers and add to the pan.
- While the onion and peppers are cooking, be sure to stir every so often, rinse off the asparagus and chop into 1 inch pieces.
- If you see the onion starting to brown turn the heat to low.
- Then crack the eggs into a medium to large size bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the fresh asparagus to the eggs. Then add the pepper & onion, straight from the pan. Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper.
- Shred some cheese into the bowl. (I didn't measure and I estimate that I used about a quarter of a cup)
- Mix it all together and pour into your favorite baking dish. (I used my 10-inch fluted round pie dish.)
- Then slice one avocado into thin slices and layer across the top. I made mine pretty by following the round style of the dish. :)
- Then shred a shallow layer of finely graded cheese across the top. That way when it melts it gives a nice golden top.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Make sure all the sides have browned a bit along the edges and you can always do the toothpick test to make sure the center has completely set.
- Serve warm.
- Enjoy! :)