Soup is a satisfying and quick meal to have on hand when the weather gets cold. It warms you from the inside out and depending on the ingredients you choose, heals as well.
I made this Potato and Cauliflower Soup a while back after I was inspired by a photo I saw for a double cheese soup. It looked tempting so I decided to create my own Paleo version.
What About Cheese?
At the time I made this soup, Jeff & I were still including cheese regularly in our Primal diet.
If you have a dairy allergy or simply don’t want to include cheese in the recipe, no worries, just leave it out. It will be just as tasty.
If you choose to include the cheese, I would only choose a block (not the pre-shredded packages) and look for organic and raw sharp cheddar. You can source directly from a local farm for this type of cheese or find companies such as Organic Valley in some health food & grocery stores such as Whole Foods.
In fact you may want to add your favorite herb or seasoning. Definitely feel free to make this recipe your own.
Overall, Jeff really enjoyed this soup and I hope you do too.
Cheesy-Potato and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 tablespoon grassfed butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups milk (raw, organic whole, coconut or almond milk)
- 1lb organic yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1lb cauliflower, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups organic raw sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (Like this brand)
- coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- organic fresh parsley (optional)
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and cook for 4 minutes, or until onions are translucent.
- Stir in garlic. Then add milk, potatoes, cauliflower, salt and red pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Transfer mixture to a blender, working in batches and process until smooth. (Or if you have an immersion blender you can use that in the pot.) Leave a few servings of soup unprocessed if you prefer a few chunky bits. If you'd prefer the soup smooth, continue to process everything.
- If you choose to add organic raw cheese, stir in all of it now until it's melted.
- Serve soup garnished with extra shredded cheese, black pepper or chopped parsley.
- Enjoy! :)