When you’re in the mood for a hearty Paleo breakfast – one that isn’t filled with all sorts of sweeteners, try these Pecan Flax Paleo Pancakes.
Yeah I said it, these babies are not sweet. That means no banana, no vanilla extract, no raw honey and no pure maple syrup – unless you’d like to use those as toppings once they’re made.
During my 21 day 100% Paleo Challenge where my goal was to reduce my sugar intake I kept seeing pancake recipes on Instagram and Pinterest. I figured a Paleo breakfast of savory pancakes would be a good substitute for that craving.
And what’s funny is I’m not even a huge fan of pancakes. I’ve always thought the typical restaurant version were such a waste of time and even before we went Paleo my typical breakfast restaurant order was either an omelet or lookin’ atcha eggs (sunny-side up or over easy) with bacon.
Next week I have a couple different Paleo Porn events, happening in the Chicagoland area. If you’re in town, come stop by to say hello, chat a bit and pick up a signed copy of Pigskin Paleo and/or Los Paleo.
Illinois Library Association, Author Showcase
Wednesday, October 16 12:30-2pm
Location: Navy Pier, Booth 527
I will be hanging out at Navy Pier for this year’s Illinois Author Showcase with copies of both of my books to answer any questions the Illinois librarians and guests have about the Paleo diet. A big thank you to Jill from the Bensenville Library for sponsoring this event.
Fall Open House
Friday, October 18 7-9pm
Location: Bartlett, IL
This is an open house so you can drop in any time between 7-9pm to say hello and check in with the other women from Thirty-One Handbags, GMG Girl Glam Custom Jewelry and of course the host of the night (Kristen) from Shaklee.
If you’re coming to either event, leave a comment and let me know so I can be on the look out for ya! :)
Pecan Flax Paleo Pancakes
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4-1/2 cup pecans, chopped (plus more for topping)
- 4 organic eggs
- 3/4 cup coffee, cold
- 1-2 tablespoons butter
- cinnamon, optional
- pure maple syrup, optional
- fresh fruit, optional
- In a medium size mixing bowl combine coconut flour, flaxseed meal, tapioca flour, baking soda and 1/4 cup of chopped pecans.
- In a small bowl combine eggs and coffee.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and stir to combine well.
- Heat a griddle, cast iron skillet or large pan over medium heat and melt butter.
- Add pancake batter to skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes per side, or until they’ve reached your desired consistency. Reduce heat, if needed, to cook through without burning. Repeat until all batter is gone.
- Transfer pancakes to a plate. Season with ground cinnamon and serve with additional chopped pecans. If you’d like to add a little sweetness top with some fresh fruit or a drizzle of pure maple syrup.
- Enjoy! :)