For the next 8 weeks I’ll be participating in an atypical CrossFit class at CrossFit Roselle. The class is atypical because it will use many of the same movements and workout schemes of stretching, strength training, and endurance work but we’re primarily using dumb bells for weights and not following the typical WOD. Today was the first day and when I came home I prepared this breakfast salad.
Exactly eight months ago from today I tried my first class at CrossFit Roselle, but I decided not to go back. Instead I focused my attention on training for the triathlon I completed in June. Then a little over a week ago I noticed a post on Facebook:
I thought about it for a moment and immediately responded. Jason, the owner, said I was one of the first to respond, so I was in!
Today was the first class. Jason took before photos and measurements along with some initial testing and I felt strong and confident with my scores.
- 60 pound squats, max rep of 5
- 120-130 pound deadlift, maxed out at 9 reps
- 30 full sit ups in a 1 minute test
- 500 meter row + 25 burpees + 500 metter row in around 7:30
I’m excited to go back tomorrow. I have a drive to compete, which is why I really enjoy the warrior workouts and trying to beat Zuzka’s scores each time so I’m looking forward to having a new goal of beating today’s CrossFit scores two months from now. The class is four days a week with Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday off, so I’ll continue to do my warrior workouts on those days.
On to breakfast! I threw together as many greens as I could and topped the salad with some seasonings and the easiest protein source I reach for when I’m not interested in trying to think of something new, top it with two eggs over easy cooked in Kerrygold grass-fed butter. BOOM! Paleo Breakfast Salad was done in minutes.
Paleo Breakfast Salad with Eggs Over Easy
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- 4 organic eggs
- 2 cups spinach
- 2 cups arugula
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- 1 persian cucumber, sliced
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1 orange tomato, chopped
- 1 avocado, cubed
- organic dried dill weed, to taste
- dried oregano, to taste
- coarse ground black pepper, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- extra virgin olive oil, to taste
Directions Makes 2 servings
- In a small frying pan over medium heat melt grass-fed butter.
- Crack 2 eggs in the pan, once butter is melted, and immediately cover with a lid.
- On two plates that you will serve on, wash and split spinach and arugula between the plates.
- Top greens with onion, cucumber, green pepper, tomato and avocado.
- Cook the eggs to desired consistency. (I prefer eggs over easy because when the egg yolks ooze out onto the salad it makes a nice combination with the olive oil and creates one of my favorite dressings.)
- Season both plates with dill, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Top each salad with 2 cooked eggs.
- Enjoy! :)